Saturday, November 8, 2008

'Post-election thoughts' by Michelle

Aloha! I came across this blog the other day and as I was reading it I couldn't help but think, "my thoughts exactly". So I asked Michelle (the originator) if I could post it on my blog and she so graciously said yes. So here you go, for your reading pleasure...

"I've got to say that I'm not exactly thrilled with the results of the election, but I'm not losing any sleep over it either. Some things you just have to just deal with the best that you can because, after all, there is nothing you can do to change it. The election is one such thing.

I try not to get too much into politics. For me, it's more of a headache than anything else. I might think that because I'm the ONLY one in my office who voted for McCain. It could also be that I just prefer to let bygones be bygones and not complicate the relationships I have with other people. In saying all that, I AM known as the "conservative" around the office for whatever reason.

So what. I'm conservative, especially compared to my coworkers. Is that something I consider a flaw or a weakness? Certainly not. Again, I take the "to each their own" approach in this type of situation. The only time I get fired up is if my family is directly affected by something someone else says or does. If you keep my family out of it, I won't bug you about the things you choose to do in your free time. Fair enough?

I sat there watching the TV last night knowing full-well that Obama would win. To be quite frank, I think it's more of a race issue than it is a moral issue. Now don't get me wrong, I think it's great that Americans have finally come around to embracing the idea that everyone (regardless of race) should have the opportunity to become president. I do not, however, think that the motiviation to prove that anyone can be president should qualify someone to actually take the office. Call me cynical, but I have a real feeling that people voted based on color and liberalism. Maybe that's all people require from a person. Me, well, I tend to expect more.

Now I guess I should say that McCain wasn't exactly all that I hoped for in a Republican candidate. Sure, he's an American hero and should be given respect for his service, but I guess I still sorta feel like I got jipped. Honestly, I think I voted for him out of principle. I voted for him because I believe that babies have a right to life and God should be number one. I voted for him because I LOVE Sarah Palin and her no-nonsense attitude. I voted for him because it was the right thing to do.

Did anyone else notice that Barak Obama did not give thanks to God, not once, during his speech?!? To me, that's frightening. For him thank all these people and even give credit to the voters for winning the election and to not even acknowledge God until the last sentence where he spews out the old addage "God bless America", is completely appalling. Our forefathers founded this nation on the principles of God. How dare Obama get on that stage and (intentionally or not) leave out the one that gave him his very life and breath? To me it's completely selfish and self-serving. Ok, I'll get off that soapbox.

Long story short, it is what it is. I keep reminding myself that I am a child of God, therefore I do not live by man's economy nor should I fear that a Godless president will ruin my world. God is still in control and He still holds the world in His hand. Despite what so many people think, it wasn't the votes that got Obama into office...it was because God allowed it to happen, for whatever reason. I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned, character to be developed and faith that needs to grow roots. So, it is my prayer that these plans that God has will show it's fruit in my life. I hope that throughout this presidency I will grow as a person and fulfill the destiny that God has called me to.

Remember: What's right isn't always popular. What's popular isn't always right! Stand up for what is right no matter how many people are against you!!"

Thanks Michelle!

0 comments: